No Holds Barred, Corridors of Power and more! Headline Animator

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Why I Am A Christian Not A Muslim, Or Hindu, Or...

It took me exactly 125 days since the last time I last post anything 'worth' writing in this blog. Granted, it is the year 2010 now, but I think I am still stucked in 2009, what with the continuous politicking and racial/religious tension continued to brew in this blessed land called Malaysia.

Well, since the Allah issue is still raging, let me just sub-divert from the topic and write about why I believe in what I believe. Since the word believe is so over-used nowadays, i.e "I believe it is my right as a Malay-Muslim to want Allah to be used by Muslim only", "I believe Christians have the same right to use Allah", let me just write on why I BELIEVE that Jesus is Lord and why I am a Christian and not a Muslim, even though I could say that I understand the fundamentals, though not thoroughly, what Islam teaches. And before anyone starts foaming in the mouth and shout that I am bashing Islam, let me clarify that this is not the case, and I am merely writing from the perspective of a non-Muslim viewing Islam with Malaysia as the backdrop. So, with that clear, let us begin.

Coming from a family of Catholics, my mother was and still is, my main influence in embracing the faith. You could say that she sowed the seed of faith, by constantly teaching me how to view life in general, how to approach certain situations from a Christian point of view. One thing that strikes me now, even as I reflect it, is the absence of violence or aggressiveness in the teachings of Jesus Christ, and yes, that includes how you approach your enemies. And the thing that strikes me even the most, is how Christ taught us how to love EVERYONE; ALL of humankind regardless of skin color, race, religion or beliefs. This is because for Him @ God, everyone is equally important. If I were the only human being left on this planet, He would still undergone hell and come back from it, just to save little me.

Now the word love is being slightly overused today, and the first thing that came to mind is Hollywood-love, the happy-ever-after-love kind. But in Christianity, love means something deeper. It means unconditional sacrifice, acceptance (note: this is different from tolerance, as what Malaysian Ministers like to spin) and forgiveness to everyone who is in need. This is the faith that is taught to me, and I believe to all Christians out there as well. And this also helps to explain why the Christians are always protesting peacefully, even though some take this as a sign of cowardice.

When you go to church, any Christian church in Malaysia, whether they are Catholics or Protestant, you will not hear any word of hate or incitement to hate the 'other' side of the faith. Look at the prayers of the faithful, and you will hear the prayers for the leaders of the nations (yes, that includes UMNO and BN as well) and for all our non-Christian sisters and brothers (yes, we call them sisters and brothers). I have never heard any hate-mongering words from any priest that teach us to hate the Muslims, even though there is a religious persecution going on in the country. And we were also not asked to pray that the Muslim extremists who fan all this tension to rot in hell, yet on the contrary, to pray for them and their souls.

Now, I have never been inside a mosque (though the closest would be me standing in its compound) before, but I can hear everything loud and clear from the loud-speakers and I am appalled by what I have heard so far. Not a SINGLE one spread the word of peace, at least not to the non-Muslims, who happened to be the rest of humanity if you minus all the Muslims. Peace to Muslims in Malaysia is only to fellow Muslims. Rights for the Muslims only includes the rights of Muslim people. The rest of the pendatangs and infidels / kafirs, you can rot in hell for all I care!

Now, I am not sure why this is. The Islam that I understand promotes peace and justice and to a certain extent, love. The name Islam itself means 'peace' but what the majority of Muslims in Malaysia are showing is on the contrary. And I feel some sympathy for my Muslim brothers and sisters who are really trying to show that Islam is truly a religion of peace and understanding. Though their numbers are small, but they are the testament of the true Islam as a religion of peace.

And as much as I am severely tempted to hate Islam and my Muslim brothers and sisters, I could not do so. This is because to hate them would be a severe violation of my own faith, which teaches me to love my God and EVERYONE with all my heart, strength, soul and body. And that is the reason why I am a Christian. To be a Christian (Christ means the Anointed One of God) means to follow in the footstep of the Christ, who came to die as a ransom for many, and yes, that includes Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhist and all God's children.

"Karena begitu besar kasih Allah akan dunia ini, sehingga Ia telah mengaruniakan Anak-Nya yang tunggal, supaya setiap orang yang percaya kepada-Nya tidak binasa, melainkan beroleh hidup yang kekal (John 3:16)

4 comments:

  1. Hi, it's funny how I typed something into google, and randomly found this post. I am very touched by this post! I am a college student in the USA, and today a muslim person in class took something off topic from the professor, and then began to talk about islam and read from the quran. I went a long with it until he began to say how the New Testament of the Bible, which Christians read is wrong because of the many translations. While I agree that, through translations of the Bible that some meanings may have gotten misunderstood or lost, I became disturbed that he was saying it was "wrong."
    This is what fueled my search on Islam and Christianity and how I found your post.

    I'm sorry for my little rant, but I agree wholeheartedly with this post. I too am a Christian and am so because of the main factor, God, who is love, and who teaches us to love all others no matter their differences. Recently I have not been as religious, but I refuse to let go of my faith. I really needed to read this and maybe it was because of God that I found this.

    Thank you for writing this, and may God bless you and your family.


    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jasmine,

    May God bless you and your loved ones everyday. May the peace of Jesus brings you closer to Him.
    And may the love of the Holy Spirit burns those love within your heart.

    Peace.

    In Christ,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ash. My name is Andria and I am an Chriastian and American Girl. I have recently been praying in tongues and began to sing almost chant these words. Lankah bina hala alah asy nah dai. It appears that this is malay. I can't really get an understanding of what this means. I tried using the word alah and allah. I know it says something about build measures the way Of God ash lo dies. Or building measures and yield way. I don't really know which is correct/ They both to me mean the same. That I must yiled myself and or build my life God's way. Being an american and Christian I was kinda leary about using allah so i originally searched the translation with the spelling alah and then it dawned on me that it could be allah. But I associated that with Muslim God. At any rate... My main issue is that of ash or asy and it dying any insight? The entire phase was: Langkah bina hala alah(or allah)asy nah dai

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete